Molds are commonly found in outdoor air and greatly outnumber pollen grains. Outdoor airborne molds can easily invade your home. Any house can develop a mold problem, given the right conditions. You might not see it growing on the walls, but it may still be present in your home. Molds require two main factors to grow indoors: (1) free moisture that can occur in the form of relative humidity above 50 percent, leakage from pipes or foundations, clogged condensate or drip pans, or any ongoing source of water; and (2) something to grow on. Molds particularly like to grow on wallboard, wood or fabrics, but will grow virtually any place if they are given a chance. Molds spread by producing spores that can become airborne. These spores end up in house dust where they grow.

There are many different types of molds and, except for causing asthma symptoms in sensitive individuals, most molds are relatively harmless and easy to get rid of. However, there are some molds which are harmful to all individuals and an extreme case of contamination of even mild molds can cause symptoms in most people. Finding mold contamination early is the key. Molds thrive particularly in dark, warm, damp places. Be especially observant of kitchens, bathrooms, closets, basements, and crawl spaces. Contact a microbial remediation-certified service provider if you suspect you may have mold in your home.